Chicken Satay With Carrot Salad
Chicken Satay With Spiralized-Carrot Salad –
Dinner on a stick!
TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
- 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut milk (from 13.5-ounce can, divided), plus 1/4 cup for basting
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. finely grated lemongrass (from bottom 2 in. of stalk, outer layers removed)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
- Kosher salt1 1/2 lb.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 11/2-inch pieces
For Peanut Sauce:
- 1/4 c. smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 c. unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
For Carrot Salad:
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 large, thick carrots, peeled and spiralized (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 c. cilantro and Thai basil (leaves and tender stems)
- 1/4 c. roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 to 2 Thai chiles, thinly sliced
- Prepare chicken: In large bowl, whisk together coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce, lemongrass, garlic, turmeric, coriander, white pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add chicken and mix to coat. Let marinate at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Make peanut sauce: In small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, coconut milk, curry paste, brown sugar, soy sauce, and lime juice. If necessary, whisk in water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed until sauce is thick but pourable.
- Tightly thread chicken onto soaked bamboo or metal skewers. Lightly brush grill grates with oil and grill chicken, basting with coconut milk and turning frequently, until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare salad: In large bowl, combine shallot, vinegar, fish sauce and sugar. Add carrots and toss to coat. Fold in cilantro and Thai basil. Serve salad with chicken skewers and peanut sauce for dipping, sprinkled with peanuts and chiles if desired.