Bread Shortage? This is the easiest kind of bread you can make
Simple and Easy Flatbread –
This is the easiest kind of bread you can make. Costs pennies and can get you through these strange times, My family lived off these when the pickings were slim.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups of lukewarm water
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
… Additional 1-2 Tablespoons canola oil (for frying)
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder & 2 tsp. canola oil together in a mixing bowl and add most of the water.
- Continue mixing and adding water until it has the consistency of tacky pizza dough.
- Knead for a few minutes.
- Let rest in greased bowl for 30- 60 minutes.
- Divide into 6 pieces and roll out very thin (tortilla thickness) onto a floured surface.
- Heat cast iron skillet or griddle to 350F & add 1 T. canola oil. Heat oil til hot but not smoky hot.
- Cook until golden brown spots appear on one side.. then flip and cook the other side until done.
These can be made ahead and kept under a flour sack towel (up to 2 days) or frozen in a Ziplock bag (for later use.
Hope this helps.